Monday, March 1, 2010
LUPEC's Whisky and Women Celebration
BULLETIN: Please attend If possible and in the NYC area!
This second instillation of our fly-by-night bar features tippling and tweeting with the ladies of LUPEC, in celebration of International Women’s Day 2010. One part fundraiser ($5 of each ticket goes to a women’s charitable organization) and one part cocktail party (a tasting of boutique blender Compass Box’s whiskies and cocktails), this toast to women’s accomplishments and empowerment in New York and around the globe is also an opportunity to rub elbows with some of the fixtures of the NYC cocktail twitterati!
The cocktails will be shaken and slung by Lynette Marerro and friends, working as members of Ladies United for the Preservation of Endangered Cocktails (LUPEC). Their mission?
* To create a secular "coven-like" atmosphere in which Classy Broads of today can invoke and honor the spirits of their Forebroads
* To continue the 150 year American tradition of dangerous women calling themselves Ladies and getting together in groups, clubs, and societies to work undercover while they chipped away at the patriarchy.
* To protect the collective Joie de Vivre of LUPEC members by assuring them at least one good party a month
* To encourage the accumulation and use of vintage serving and barware.
* And most importantly, to let LUPEC ladies use our skills to support women-based charitable organizations.
Compass Box Brand Ambassador and whisky guru Robin Robinson will be on hand leading tastings of their sophisticated, expressive blended whiskies, including Asyla, Hedonism, Oak Cross, Peat Monster, Spice Tree and their infused whisky, Orangerie.
This event is co-hosted with @sweetblogomine, the mastermind behind the the cocktail tweetups that have been gaining momentum for 18 months.
Your ticket entitles you to two of the drinks created for the event. Additional tickets will be available on site ($10 a cocktail) should you want to taste the whole list (and you probably will.) Snacks will be served.
Tickets MUST be purchased in advance and are available online:
International Women’s Day celebrates the economic, political and social achievements of women past, present and future. It has been observed since the early 1900's and today thousands of events are held throughout the world to inspire women and celebrate their incredible achievement. For more information on International Women’s Day 2010 including events taking place around the world, please visit http://www.internationalwomensday2010.com
Photo and event info credit: LUPEC NYC